Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is an IP packet-based voice service that is delivered over LTE access network. VoLTE enables high definition (HD) voice call quality as LTE has higher data, sampling and encoding rate.
This is a significant improvement over traditional 3G and 2G mobile network voice calls. The quality enhancements motivated mobile network operators in China to plan for large-scale commercial deployment of VoLTE service. The main challenge, however, is the low LTE network coverage that may subject the VoLTE call to fall back from 4G to 3G/2G and undermines users experience.
This has inspired DingLi to focus on developing a much more convenient and efficient audio quality evaluation method that still meets the ITU-T standardized measurement.
In cooperation with Vivo and MI global mobile device suppliers, DingLi is able to develop an audio analyzer hardware independent (e.g. without the DingLi's "Micro MOS") PESQ/POLQA audio quality measurement solution for Pilot Walktour Android.
The remaining of this article shall continue to cover the following subject matter
• Pilot Walktour's Audio Quality Measurement Evolution
• Independent Audio Quality MOS Test without DingLi Micro MOS
• Multi-Channel Audio Quality MOS Test Solution
• Uploading Audio Quality MOS Logfiles to Pilot Fleet Unify Server
2014.Audio Quality MOS Test with MOS Plug
HD MOS Plug that is designed to collect audio data and assigned to dedicated terminal model is used for the Audio Quality MOS test.
2015.Audio Quality MOS Test with Micro MOS
Micro MOS is an ultra-portable and compact device that is designed for the Audio Quality MOS test. Micro MOS is integrated with DSP (Digital Signal Processor) which will collect MIC audio data from the commercial test terminals. The recorded audio file is transmitted through Bluetooth from the Micro MOS device to the terminal.
2016.Audio Quality MOS Test with Pilot Walktour Pack
Pilot Walktour Pack may conduct real-time multi-device MOS score calculation. The test devices in Pilot Walktour Pack may not only perform simultaneous audio quality MOS test, but also compare the measurements from multiple network operators.
2017.Upload Audio Quality MOS Logfiles to Pilot Fleet Unify Server
Upload audio quality MOS test data (in batches) to Pilot Fleet Unify Server for processing and presentation.
2018.Audio Quality MOS Test without DingLi Micro MOS (e.g. a separate audio quality analyzer hardware)
Mobile-to-mobile voice quality measurement with PESQ/POLQA MOS is supported with Pilot Walktour Android (V3.8) test devices (i.e. vivo Y79A, vivo Y66i A and MI MIX2) without connecting to the DingLi MOS Box (Micro MOS).
In cooperation with Vivo and MI global mobile device suppliers, DingLi manages to develop an independent PESQ/POLQA audio quality measurement solution for Pilot Walktour Android without the connection to any external audio quality analyzer hardware or MOS box.
• Evaluates audio quality with PESQ/POLQA MOS algorithm.
• Support 8Kb/16Kb/48Kb reference audio files.
• Save test data and audio file at the same time.
• Presents accurate test results in real time.
• Real-time display of decoded parameters and messages
• Real-time KPIs statistics
VoLTE, CSFB & 2G/3G Voice Test Event Detection• Call initiation and call setup
• Dropped call
• Call connection delay
Real-time Statistics• Test service statistics
• Call setup success rate
• Call setup delay
Voice MOS Test• Real-time PESQ MOS score
• Requires no external MOS test sound card.
iPad controller unit• The iPad, as the main controller, divides test terminals into groups.
• Distributes test plans to test terminals and manages the collected data.
• Monitors the test service and displays measurement information in real time.
Pilot Walktour Pack Case• A maximum of 8 test terminals with built-in battery and up to 8 hours of operation.
• Transmit and uses Wifi signal for iPad controller connection to the test terminals
• Built-in detection system may automatically detect the terminals that have previously accessed the Pilot Walktour Pack system.
Smartphones• Test terminals
• Commercial terminals based on iOS/Android operation system
• Reflect the actual network status
• Support multiple network technologies, e.g. GSM/UMTS/LTE.
• Collects air interface signaling messages and radio performance measurements
• Dynamic power management. Pilot Walktour Pack case may supply power for
test terminals for over 8 hours.
• Supports 6 to 8 terminals to conduct MOC-MTC mobile-to mobile call, calculate and display audio quality MOS score in real time.
• Multiple terminal models are supported, e.g. vivo Y66i, Samsung S7 G9300, Samsung S8/S8+ G9500/9550 and iPhone6S etc.
Group Multiple Terminals• Flexible test: multi-network and multi-service test with multiple terminals
• Commercial terminals
Multi-dimensional Analysis• Compares audio quality radio parameters from multiple terminals
• Real-time display of decoded parameters, messages and KPIs
• Statistics reports generation
• Supports commercial phones
• Data can be analyzed with Pilot Fleet Unify's post processing function
• Obtains test plan from Pilot Fleet Unify Server with a single click.
• Uploads audio quality MOS logfiles to Pilot Fleet Unify Server for MOS score calculation and presentation.
• Manages test data in batches in Pilot Fleet Unify Server to save user's efforts and time, e.g. delete, re-decode, export test data in batches, etc.
detailed information in Pilot Pioneer Expert